Since the runDisney Wine and Dine Half Marathon is a night race and a little different than most runners are use to I thought I would share some tips.
1. Don’t carb load all day- I promise that if you eat huge amounts of food all day long the night race will not be very fun. Make your large meal lunch. Then for dinner eat something smallish and easy to digest. Eating a huge dinner and then running 2 hours later will probably land you in a port-a-pottie…several times.
2. Watch your footing- I have seen people trip time and time again at this race. Volunteers are usually near speed bumps and curbs to warn people, but don’t rely on that. Keep your music low enough that you can hear warnings from other runners as well. There are places that will be pretty dark so keep an eye on the ground.
3. Run with a phone/camera- You will want pictures for this race. The Osborne Family Lights are the highlight of my year and getting a picture with a nearly empty area around you is rare.
4. Set a meeting place for your family if they are attending the after party with you- Maybe because it is dark, but I always feel like the Wine and Dine finish line is a little more crowded and crazier than other races. Instead of meeting them at the finish line you can always meet them in the park somewhere.
5. Gear check a change of clothes- If you are attending the after party there are mens and women changing tents set up so you can get out of your sweaty clothes. You can also go to the hotel and shower, then come back to the after party.
Who will I be seeing at Wine and Dine?!?! I can’t wait!