In closing 2012 I decided to make a list of some of the things I am thankful for that happened this year. I have so much to be thankful for, so this is just a few.
1. First and foremost, QUITTING SMOKING! I hid the fact that I smoked from quite a few people because I hated it and was ashamed I did it, but now I am admitting it. I was a smoker and I QUIT! It is an ugly, horrible, dirty habit. As a runner I would steal a cigarette here and there and be so ashamed. As of April 13, 2012 I have not touched one single cigarette and took 17 freaking minutes off my half marathon time!!! Kind of amazing right? If I could pass one thing on to the younger generation is to never start smoking. Quitting is harder than anything I have ever had to do…including child birth.
2. I am thankful for my supportive husband traveling all over the country with me and our 2 year old so I can run races. I was able to run all the RunDisney distance races in 2012. Goofy Challenge, Tinker Bell Half, Princess Half, Disneyland Half, Tower of Terror 10 miler, and the Wine and Dine half. Thank you hubs! Even though you aren’t a runner, don’t really understand it, and think I’m a little nuts, thank you for being supportvie!
3. I am thankful for finding Newton running shoes. I was having tons of ankle problems. To the point that my specialist wanted to ground me for 6 weeks! I switched up my shoes to Newton running shoes and voila! I haven’t looked back.
4. I am thankful for my cute little yellow Keurig coffee maker. With out it I would have a very hard time functioning. I don’t drink more than one cup, which is what makes it perfect for me, but without that one cup I just can’t keep up with life. Ironic that I never even owned a coffeemaker until I had my daughter…hmmmm correlation between coffee drinking and motherhood, imagine that.
5. I am thankful for all the supporters I have that have donated to the many causes I have ran for this year. I find it important to spread awareness for charities I believe in and run for them too instead of just for me. Run for the people who can’t. In 2013 I’m kicking off the year at RunDisney’s Walt Disney World Marathon week, running the Goofy Challenge for Autism Speaks. 1 in 88 kids are now diagnosed with Autism. I am alarmed how this number keeps increasing and want to make sure others are alarmed too so we can start finding answers.
6. I am thankful my beautiful, smart, funny, crazy, bossy, lovey daughter. She is the most amazing little girl ever (I may be a little biased). She inspires me ever day, all while keeping me on my toes and humbling me. She never ceases to amaze me. I asked her one day if she was going to be a good girl again today like she had been the day before. She sat for a minute thinking and than looked at me with a completely serious face and said, “No, I’m going to be a naughty girl today mom.” Hey, at least she was honest with me right? Can’t wait to see what the teenage years bring.
7. I am thankful for the food in my refrigerator. I am lucky enough to live in an area to be able to get amazing produce. Locally grown, organic, fresh produce. I have an extreme love for fruits and vegetables and love cooking huge varieties of them every night for dinner.
8. I am thankful for Southwest Airlines. The people that work for you make traveling so much easier than other airlines. Your employees generally seem so much friendlier than other airlines. With the amount we travel, especially with a 2 year old, that makes a world of difference.
9. And I am so very thankful for the health and safety of my friends and family. We are so very fortunate and I never let a day go by without being thankful for that. Never take anything for granted.
Hope everyone has a safe, healthy, happy, and inspiring 2013!