I have ran countless runDisney races, but the Disneyland Half Marathon will always have a special place in my heart. It is where I fell in love with running. Years back the Disneyland Half Marathon was my first half marathon and I was “only going to train and run that one race.” As soon as I finished, got my medal and went home I was already googling other half marathons I could do. Here is my must-do list for anyone attending the Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend.
1. Attend A Meet-Up- While the official runDisney meet-ups don’t exist anymore, social media is buzzing with groups organizing meet-ups. It is a fun way to meet new people, learn new things and just enjoy the weekend to it’s fullest. Take a look through Facebook for Disneyland Half groups and pay attention to #DisneylandHalf hashtags on Twitter. Anyone want to share a meet-up?
2. Browse The Expo- Yes I know, obviously you have to go get your race number and shirt, but you don’t have to hurry through and not take a look. There are a lot of fun products, plus it may spark your memory that you forgot something like energy gels, socks or even a tutu. Don’t worry, they have that there! Be sure to stop by the runDisney booth at the expo and see all the race bling on display.
3. Make A Dining Reservation– I recommend making at least one reservation, unless you want to eat counter service the whole weekend. There are still scattered reservations available online, but it won’t be that way for long. Whether it is dinner before the race or maybe a character buffet breakfast after the race I suggest making your reservation ahead of time.
4. Cheer On One Of The Races- Cheering on a race, watching the costumes and seeing all those people run is amazing. If you are running the half, get up early saturday and cheer on the 10k. If you are running Dumbo get up Friday and cheer on the 5k. If you are running all three because you are crazy like me then go watch the Kids Races on Saturday. It is truly magical to be a spectator every now and then.
5. Fastpass Radiator Springs Racers First Thing In The Morning- The Fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers go faster than any other ride. Go to the Fastpass kiosk first thing when you get to the parks, otherwise if you want to ride you are looking at an easy 1.5 hour wait (if not longer). Keep in mind it is Labor Day Weekend for normal people who don’t know it is also a race weekend. It will be crowded.
6. “Carb Load”- Ok, so don’t over do it, but you are in delicious carb capital! Soft pretzels, churros, candy, popcorn, Dole Whips, Tiger Tails, oh my! Again, don’t over do it, but pick one and enjoy every bite of it.
7. Take A Picture In Front Of The Castle- During the race take the time to stop for AT LEAST one picture and if you are only doing one take it in front of the castle. These pictures are always my favorite and embody everything that is a runDisney race. Don’t stop on the course. Pull over to the side and there are always volunteers and cast members around that you can ask to take the picture for you with your phone/camera.
8. Wear Your Medal- The response you will get is amazing. Perfect strangers will be congratulating you all day. What better way to celebrate such an big accomplishment!
9. Take It All In- Don’t rush yourself around to much. Slow down, enjoy it and create those memories. Plus you don’t want to be to tired for the race itself 🙂
I hope everyone has a magical race and I will “see” you all there !