I love macaroons, but didn’t like the cup of refined sugar, condensed milk and flour that are in a lot of recipes. I decided to experiment. This Coconut Macaroon recipe is delicious, gluten free and can be all natural if you choose all natural products. You don’t loose flavor though. They are still delicious!
Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons
5 cups shredded coconut
5 egg whites
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
Tips: Obviously unsweetened coconut would be a healthier choice, but the recipe can also be done with sweetened shredded coconut. Same with the agave nectar, you can use white sugar or honey if you would like.
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees.
2. Whisk or use a mixer to stiffen the egg whites and salt. Combine the agave nectar and vanilla and fold into the egg whites. Mix in coconut.
3. Form mix into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (a small ice cream scoop works well too)
4. Bake until golden brown, roughly 20 minutes depending on size.
5. Let cool on the cookie sheet completely.
For a fun treat I like to make these into bird nests instead of balls. After they are cooked you can put jelly beans in them for eggs, or if Easter is near a Peeps is always cute.