As a busy mom who tries to eat as healthy as I can manage, I’m always looking for quick snacks that also make me happy. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Apples and almond butter– Take a smallish apple (organic if you can) and cut it in half, cut out core and put almond butter in its place. Place apple back together and run out the door. Easy and delish. I also eat this instead of dessert a lot. I even do this with a banana. Cut a banana in half long ways and put in almond butter and place back together like a sandwich. You can also use peanut butter or whatever nut or seed butter you want.
2. Celery, almond butter and raisins– I like to use golden raisins, but whatever is your preference. Ants on a log is a way better alternative than most processed snacks and who can’t use more celery in their diet right?
3. Low-fat string cheese– Seriously delicious and satisfying, but only 50 calories!
4. Caprese salad on the move– I cut up a tomato, a little fresh mozzarella and a basil leaf. Through is all in a small to-go container and sprinkle with a little balsamic vinegar and pepper. When you are ready for a snack you have a delish salad that is already marinated! You can also use a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette or add a little olive oil.
5. Sliced cucumber with hummus– Like a healthy little snack sandwich, cut cucumber pieces and spread hummus on them and then place them together like a sandwich. It has a crunch with the cucumber and lots of flavor with the hummus. It is especially delicious with red pepper or roasted garlic hummus.
6. Homemade popcorn– Make plain all natural air popped popcorn. Season with whatever you want. Have you tried it with Tapatio or Cholula hot sauce? YUM! Other ideas: sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese, black pepper, a smidge all natural brown sugar, malt vinegar. Not all at once though 😉
7. Almonds and cranberries– In a snack size bag I mix a few plain almonds and dried cranberries together. It is a satisfying tastey snack and will usually quench a craving when you are out and about.
8. Pistachios- I LOVE pistachios. Leave them in the shells though. You are significantly less likely to over eat them when you have to shell them than just gobbling down handfuls of already shelled nuts. It gives your body time to tell your mind you are full and if you see a huge stack of shells mentally it will tell you you don’t need to eat anymore.
9. Greek yogurt– Obviously this isn’t a great thing to throw in your purse and carry around for a long period of time, but it is a great thing to scarf down, feel satisfied and get great energy and tons of protein from before running out the door.
Some other choices: baby carrots, berries, I love Kind Bars, freeze-dried fruit or vegetables (freeze-dried strawberries and corn and peas are a couple of my favs), all natural granola that isn’t loaded with fat and sugar (read the label), tangerines are perfect purse size and easy to peel.
What are some of your favorite healthy snacks?